UM MFA in Creative Writing
There are presently no open calls for applications.
Guidelines for Admission
In addition to the application required by the University of Montana Graduate School, the Department of English MFA program also requires a separate application that you will fill out here.
Submittable application process will open up on October 1st.
Please prepare the following to include with your University of Montana Creative Writing Program Submittable application:
1. Copies of unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities you've attended. (Official transcripts will only need to be submitted if you are selected.)
2. CV or resume with a list of any relevant awards, honors or publications.
3. Goal Statement: 100 – 300 word essay describing your personal goals for graduate studies; may include current interests, writing projects and literary influences.
4. Writing sample: 15-30 pages (two or more short stories or excerpts from a novel). Double-spaced, standard margins and fonts. Please upload your writing sample in Submittable.
5. Three confidential recommendations: the people recommending you will be contacted by email and must respond by January 20th.
6. Expository Essay (if applying for a Teaching Assistantship): 7 - 15 pages, literary criticism, research paper, academic or formal essay. Double-spaced, standard margins and fonts.